Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Tuesday 3 July 2007

Of Tom Yam and Mien Kam

(This is a backdated post....no thanks to them inedible Cookies!)

Last Saturday started out like any other Saturdays; the usual suspects were early morning walk around the neighbourhood with Bryan to look at dogs, Barney on DVD, music class at noon and my parents' place after that. My parents are great cooks (yes, even my Dad!!) and as I only visit them once a week on Saturdays, I get to dictate the dinner menu. So screening this week was my Mum's special Tom Yumm loaded with seafood and my Dad was premiering Mien Kam (wrapped daun kodok with various condiments), to suit the Thai-themed dinner.

Then my aunt Pat called. My aunt & uncle were down from Singapore for a weekend visit to KL! I have not seen them for more than 6 months so it was indeed a pleasant surprise. What's more, they were coming over for dinner....WITH DURIANS!! Dinner at my parents are always about abundance so we had plenty of food to feed unexpected guests.

Dinner started close to 8pm as both VT and Uncle Michael just returned from work. Dinner started off with a bang, or should I say, a clash as the glass with leong fun (grass jelly) fell onto the table and broke as my Dad reached across the table. So another 10mins were spent frantically sweeping up the pieces of broken glass and wiping the spill. In the process, Uncle Choo Tock cut his finger and blood was gushing out at the speed of Niagara Falls. Some Savlon and a plaster later, we finally sat down for dinner (which was I must say, totally scumptious!). Apart from the food, what I really enjoy is the great company. My aunts/uncles and I get on very well and we are able to chat like friends and laugh together.

Before I knew it, it was time for me to go. VT had earlier driven home with Bryan as he was getting cranky already. I hung around for a while more before heading home. It was a hectic Saturday but it was thoroughly enjoyed, nonetheless. I should call back and dictate the menu for this Saturday!

No comments: