Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Saturday 26 January 2008

Something's Gotta Give

I have been with my current employer (and current department) for the past 10 years. Yes, it was my first job out of uni and I've never looked back. I really enjoy my work because I find it a new and revolutionary area, and I take pride in my work. There's not one day where I don't leave the office feeling that I have accomplished something.

Of late, this feeling has been more muted. I realised that after all these years, I'm ready to move on to something bigger. I have only been looking at Malaysia and Vietnam, and it's no longer challenging. I spoke to my regional head last year and he promised me to move me into a bigger role. I have already identified and started grooming my successor.

Just last month during our my annual appraisal, he told me that he would like me to move out to Singapore in the second half of this year to take on a regional role. This is a fanstastic opportunity for me and it will open many other doors since most of the Group-level functions operate out from the Lion City.

Having many discussions with VT, I have decided that I will give this opportunity a miss, for the following reasons:

1) It's difficult for VT to find a job in SG in this line of work where contacts are vital. It would be like starting all over again for him. That's unfair to him.
2) With baby #2 on the way in July, that makes moving country even more difficult
3) Rental of apartment and hiring of maid & babysitter would leave us financially-drained

And the main reason is:

I don't want to move and find out that everyone ends up being miserable just because I wanted career advancement. Family is and has always been my primary priority. This is the moment when I need to prove it. And there would be no regrets because at the end my life, work is nothing but a means of putting food on the table (and Astro on TV!) but family, now that's EVERYTHING!

13 comments:

Mamalina said...

It's quite a pity to pass such an opportunity, but I believe you made the right decision at the moment. You'll want Bryan and baby no2 (girl or boy?) to have a stable family life at this stage in their life.

Is it really difficult for VT to find a job in SG? I thought Spore is doing lots of constructions now? I would have thought that VT having the experience should be able to get a great job there.

slavemom said...

Family comes 1st hor. U know ur priorities so don't think of it as a pity when u let this op pass.

Health Freak Mommy said...

I would give the opportunity a pass too. Family always comes first. Good decision you've made!

Sue said...

Once you start a family, everything have to be on hold...good decision..

jazzmint said...

it must have been a tough decision since you told me bout it sometime ago. I guess these are sacrifices where hubby & kids will appreciate.

Anonymous said...

wah, what a good sacrifice!!! neermind u still a big shot currently ma.. can ask for bigger role after bb pops out! forgot to ask u, boy or girl ah?

Sasha Tan said...

i understand yr situation and yr decision. I once made the same decision too :)

Anonymous said...

Girl, you made the right choice. Nothing, not even the best career in the world, can take the place of family.

Anonymous said...

it is really tough for you to make this decision. great to hear that you finally decided. :)

Chinneeq said...

wow....that is a good chance for career advancement. But u r right, with bb no.2 coming, now the focus somehow is on family....just follow your heart :)

Kelly said...

I am happy that you know what you want! No headache! Sometimes I do wonder what i want in life...
A simple tag for you... hope you like it!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

happy to know that you follow your heart :) nothing is more important than the family eh?

Peridot&Sapphire said...

glad that you are firm on your decision... motherhood means more sacrifice...