Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Friday 7 September 2007

Should I Be Frustrated ?

I don't know how many mothers/fathers are out there with a toddler, who has never experienced one night of at least 5-6 hours of sleep continuous. If you've not, congratulations; if you have, join the club!

I think I have whinged & whined many times about how poor a sleeper Bryan is since the day he was born (Day 2 to be precise - Day 1, I think he was still drugged with the epidural that I was on LOL). I thought the days (or nights) of restless sleep will be over by the time he turned 6 months. The 6 month milestone came and went....then I told myself, maybe it will change overnight so let's wait till he's a year old. Now, THAT came and went as well, and guess what? This mummy (& daddy) is still not getting a full night's worth of sleep! The little fella (who has comfortably taken his place in our bed) wakes up 3-4 times a night, crying but with his eyes closed. It takes me 5 seconds to pat him back to dreamland, but Mummy is wide awake for the next hour. I'd asked many other parents and these are the feedback that I'd obtained:

(1) He's over-stimulated during the day so he has nightmares - maybe, but EVERYNIGHT???
(2) He's hungry - I really doubt this one as he fueles up pretty well before going to bed
(3) He's a light-sleeper so he wakes up when he wee-wees - Doubt this one too because he's ok with naps & I'm sure he wee-wees then as well
(4) It's habitual - BINGO?

Anyway, as I fell ill with fever & sore throat 2 days ago, dear VT asked me to sleep on the spare bed in his study so that I could get complete rest at night, which I had been. Let me tell you - it feels so so so good to be able to snooze the night through. I wake up earlier than usual because I had my good share of zzzzzz. I had come to be point of being so tired & frustrated about this that it was affecting my mood. But perhaps other parents go through this and not b*tch about it as much as I do?

So Mummies & Daddies, what do ya think?

4 comments:

Wen said...

he'll be fine later...
anyway, go to http://momentoes.blogspot.com/search/label/Tag for the tag. sorry if i hv been misleading ..
welcome to the sleepless nite

jazzmint said...

u are definitely not alone, my boy does that too...and sometimes I'm so so tired that I never bother LOL...he tarak pacifier huh? not like mine, most of the time is cari pacifier

Sasha Tan said...

HI, are u the bryan's mama that left a msg in my chat box?

anyway, my boy used to cry with his eyes shut. It could be teething as well and another reason which happened to my Lil J. I don't know if you believe it or not, something supernatural was disturbing him.We managed to do some prayers and he is no longer crying through the night.

And i know the feeling of being able to sleep through the night. I used to get no sleep when Jayden was little. Then he moved to his own playpen and slepy by himself. I felt SOOOOOOOO happy and then he began to sleep through the night. It's not a day or two effort to train him to sleep through the night but it's worth it.

Peridot&Sapphire said...

you are not alone la... i think it's habitual and stimulated too much before sleep. En En was like that and we tried not to play or let her play too much before bedtime and it improves. Fourthnightly, she still wake up at 3am and sleep back at 5am! I gotto entertain her lorr... don't understand why every 3am too... it's norm and that's why we are called mummy...