Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Thursday 1 November 2007

From Maid to Mate

I was chatting with a colleague, who is in her 33rd week of pregnancy, over lunch today.

Her: How come you're still so tired? I thought Bryan is more than a year old now?
Me: Ya lor....but he's still waking up 2-3 times a night. Don't know why - just wake up, cry, cuddle up to me, and goes back to sleep
Her: Wah like that ah?
Me: It's ok lah....after a while, your body gets used to broken sleep
Her: I have already told *husband's name" that the baby will be sleeping with the maid from Day 1

Now, I know many mothers who opted to do the same thing as what my friend mentioned. Do their children love them less? I don't think so. Then the question I ask myself is, "Am I sacrificing too much?". Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining but this just got me thinking a bit more than usual.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em.. I have a friend did the same too from the day the baby discharge from hospital until now she's alreadi 8 yrs old she will sleep wif the kakak (maid).

She told me tat her girl don't follow her.She have divorced wif her husband and so sad her girl choose to follow the maid not her parents :(

Anonymous said...

for me i wont allow kids to sleep with maid, besides not following u later on, u get to find out so many thing abt ur kids when they r asleep even though itstiring.like Iris, i know she sometimes talks in her sleep. sure reveal all her secrets to her hubby lor

michelle@mybabybay said...

I prefer to have my children sleep with me. It will build a strong bonding between us. I still don't understand why some moms do the above or send their baby to babysitter night and day! Where is the responsibility??!!

LHS said...

alamak, still waking up 2 to 3 times??? that's a lot, even more than my baby!!

jazzmint said...

hmm i seriously against sleeping with maid, cause i fear my baby will keep crying and maid happily sleeping away :S..and i don't trust the maid fully oso lah, mana tau nanti dia molest my kids aiyoo...no way.

no worries, he will probably grow out of those crying when he's older.

slavemom said...

I personally wouldn't do that. Coz I don't trust the maid's ability to handle a bb/child in her sleepy state.

Tutiger said...

Hahahaaa.... I never trust the maids. I have one which is totally a reject at home :P Luckily that one is not the one helping my mum to care for Nic or Keith

Mommy to Chumsy said...

errrr....i don't think i would want my kid to sleep with the maid too no matter how precious sleep is to me :D

Peridot&Sapphire said...

I'm against the idea for putting our child sleeping with a maid even I don't have enough sleep! I'm also not really support the idea of my kid sleep with their grandparent too, it's parent responsibility to take care their kid on their own... not the maid or anyone else! I don't know what will happen to my kids mentally & physically knowing alot of terrible cases with maids nowadays...

Anonymous said...

I too am against having the child sleep with the maid. There is a special bond when the child shares the room with the parents. In fact, I have also read that children grow up to be more confident in the long run. When the child is ready, then move him/her to their own room, never ever with the maid.

You are not alone. My boy still wakes up a couple of times a night and he is 21 months. I am still waiting for him to sleep through.