Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Tuesday 12 August 2008

Coffee, Anyone?

Sorry, it's not an invitation to coffee, much as I love to but have to wait till post-confinement.

I sent a text to this breastfeeding expert-mama on whether I could drink coffee whilst still expressing BM for the baby. She thought one cup daily was ok and I should drink it right after I express to give 2-3 hours lag time till I express again.

I have and always been a big coffee- drinker. Even when I was pregnant, I drank a cup of mild 3-in-1 a day to jumpstart the day. It probably explains why Brandon does not sleep from 12am to 3am everyday! I stopped when I delivered but with me resuming night duties next week, I think I need some caffeine to stay alive during the day. It's sort of like a domino effect - drink coffee when pregnant, baby doesn't sleep, need to drink coffee to jaga baby, baby doesn't sleep, need to drink coffee to jaga baby, baby doesn't sleep, need to drink coffee to jaga baby...you get what I mean.

So, what do other breast-feeding mummies out there think? Can drink or not??

13 comments:

Sasha Tan said...

Eh i drank coffee and coke when i was preggie with Jayden. Hehheeh now u know why he is hyper eh?

i read from somewhere, if u wanna drink, drink after u express and drink lotsa water to flush it out.

Sue said...

It's ok to drink, just keep it to 1 or 2 cups lo, since coffee does contain caffeine... and I've also read that you should drink it after expressing so that there's time for it to be flushed from your system by the next pumping session...

slavemom said...

I don't take coffee, so there wasn't such probs for me. ;)

Angeleyes said...

Well... best to refrain from taking them if you can... if really cannot tahan take those decaf ones...

Peter & Joyce said...

I'm blessed in a way that I don't have to deal with this dilemma, because I am not a coffee addict. Teehee! But go easy on it la if you must :)

LHS said...

i didn't take when bf, but i took a lot when i was pregnant with Eli, now you reminded me, no wonder Eli quite alert most of the time..

Wen said...

i didnt take any... just started cofee drinking only last yr... better not lor..

Mommy to Chumsy said...

err....can u drink decaf? any harm?

LindaLow said...

I think is ok la..You already took it when you hv him inside you, so what's the difference if u were to take it now:) Btw, little Brandon looks good la..High bridge nose...Handsome..

Babysmooches said...

I've read that drinking coffee during pregnancy and during breastfeeding actually create a restless and hyperactive child because of the caffeine content.

You can now opt for mildly brewed Ginseng tea which gives an "alert" effect as well.

LittleLamb said...

i drank coffee, 1-2 cups a day from the 3rd months onwards. i stop expressing milk on the 7th month.

Mamalina said...

If you cannot tahan, you can drink coffee.. but drink lots of water to flush it out of your system by the time you need to express the BM.
1 cup of coffee : 3 cups of water.

At least this way, you are not too worried about too much caffeine getting into the EBM.

jazzmint said...

drink right after u express i guess ok kwa..just like when we take the DOM while BF, it's the same concept. Drink it after express, and make sure don't express the next 3 hours, then it won't get into the BM.

I guess I don't have this prob, cause I hate coffee or tea haha....