Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Wednesday 13 August 2008

Frustrations All Around

Blame it on the hormones, blame it on brain inactivity for the past month. Everything seems so frustrating to me.

Firstly, there must be something wrong with my boo-bies. Now I have been diligently expressing BM every 2.5hrs during the day and 3hrs at night (I'm exclusively expressing), for the past 3 weeks. You would think that 8 times of expression would yield some pretty good volumes of BM. That's the frustrating part - I am still only able to express about 2.5ozs combined from both boo-bies. Surely that can't be right??! I've heard of a fully-expressing mama who had hundreds of ounces of milk shored up in her freezer by the time her confinement was over. I can barely express enough to feed Brandon. I did ask my visiting midwife and she was puzzled as well. My only conclusion is that some women have fewer milk storage ducts - perhaps I'm only trying to make myself feel better.
Conclusion: I'm giving myself 2 more weeks. If supply remains the same, I'm going to scrap EBM.

Then, there's my maid. She has been with us for 2 years and had previously indicated that she would like to extend another year. My maid is, I would say, almost close to perfect. Then suddenly she tells me that she wants to go home because she has pulled her back muscle and has been in great pain for the past 2 months. So now I'm kelam-kabut have to apply for a new maid. What sh*t timing. When the new maid arrives, I will have my hands full training her and taking care of an infant.
Conclusion: Maids - you can't live with them, you can't live without them.

Side track a bit - if anyone knows someone who makes ang koo please let me know. I need to source some for Brandon's full moon.

17 comments:

Wen said...

8 times a day, is that how much ur boy drinks? u gotta feed on demand. whenever ur boy drinks milk, u pump on the same time, no matter its 1 or 2 or 3 hrs. but its best if u direct bf him first. once u get the flow n routine, u can start pumping out. ur maid? send her to chiro to see?
she is probably afraid liao seeing that u got 2 kids and so many things to do during confinement period.
i know sue sue cooking momsters does angku la, saw from her blog

Jess said...

I always salute those mummies who can bf for long period. Me never reach 2 months so far...hehe....

not easy to get good maid now, wish u good luck ya!

Sasha Tan said...

can ask laundryamah for the cousin's contact. She supply to giant supermkt wan.

LittleLamb said...

did u counter offer yr maid? ie increase her pay a bit and say medical here better ...?? if u r used to a maid n suddenly no maid, everything will go kelam kabut one. because i experience it myself before. that time i got no kid yet, and still i was dependant on the maid to do this do that.

Chinneeq said...

on bf, i got double the frus, imagine :(

shoppingmum said...

Expressing breastmilk can be very stressful, if you have a daily target. Just take it easy, if you can't express that much, just nurse directly and supplement. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, ok?

Peter & Joyce said...

Try drinking a hot drink about half an hour before expression (milo, horlicks, green tea - NOT coffee). Then DURING expression, pause every 10 minutes or so and chug down some water. You should be expressing for about 20-25 minutes at a time, and maybe get TWO letdowns, if your'e lucky, THREE.
And if you can, try occupying your eyes with something else while expressing. Reading a book, watching TV or looking at a picture of Brandon. Look anywhere BUT the milk bottle in which the milk is going into. You'll be surprised how distraction helps in increasing the amount of expressed milk.

Have you also tried drinking stuff that supposedly increases milk supply? Chamomile tea, malted drinks, fenugreek tea, papaya soup and lots and lots of H20!!!

Don't give up just yet!

slavemom said...

I presume there's a reason y u're not feeding him directly. Must not stress urself out. I'm sure u've heard a thousand times wat stress does to milk supply. If, eventually u don't hv enuff to feed Brandon exclusively, a bit oso better than none, rite? Happy bfg! (keyword: HAPPY) :)

Angeleyes said...

yeah yeah, agreed with Joyce... drink more stuff that helps to produce more milk. Go get some very green papaya and boil soup with it. I heard from many people it helps heap!

Nurse directly if you can even Brandon has very poor latch on... you just need to train him... practice make perfect. Now that he's bigger, probably he can do better... don't give up yet!

And for the maid... *sigh* really bad timing.

Jaanvi said...

Well when bf, the frustration definately increases but handle with care. Try and nurse directly ur baby,he will be trained in no time... have patience.. for increased supply go for wheat porridge,it works..
try and keep ur old maid as long as possible with u..

cre8tone said...

ur maid got wrong timing :(

michelle@mybabybay said...

Don't give up. Drink lots of water (2-3L a day), drink soups, eat fish and rest a lot. Lastly get a good pump like Avent.

Mamalina said...

Yup... seriously....I think the trick is... DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER.

Drink 2 cups of water before you express. And if you don't find it too troublesome, hold Brendon on the other side or have nearby.

I used to BF Sean on one side but since you are exclusively expressing, having Brendon near you should trigger the release of the hormone for milk production.

Sue said...

Aiyoo.... me also sum tai sum sai dunno if I wanna bf baby so long, very mafan if have to pump. I don;t mind breastfeeding directly all the time though.. I salute you for pumping 8 times daily... go to work I started pumping 3 times edi lazy last time, lasted for 1 yr kekeek...
Do try the papaya soup, it works, but if drank daily I felt the power kinda wears off LOL

jazzmint said...

try to nurse directly...cause the reflex of suckling is the one that helps your brain/body convey the msg that baby needs more, produce more (supply/demand concept).

don't so stress lah...if kenot, just stop oni. you did your best, pat on your shoulder ;). Drink more liquid, soup. it helps. but make sure drink it warm, not cold drinks, that doesn't help.

wah liao eh...ur maid suddenly wanna go back, aiyo...so when she's cabutting?

KittyCat said...

Wah...why do you need to pump so many times? I know I hated pumping, even with the super-efficient AVENT pump. I would try to breastfeed directly whenever possible.

When I needed to pump, I had a hot mug of Milo (with lashings of milk) about 10-15 minutes before...it seems to help. I got a good 4-5 ml during the times I wasn't stressed from work. But only 1-2.5 ml when stressed!

Fenugreek capsules from a good pharmacy seems to give many Mums that vital boost - just remember to tell them it's for breastfeeding!

Hang in there, hang in there...

yanmaneee said...

nike air max
nike air max 97
bape clothing
jordan 4
balenciaga sneakers
golden goose
curry shoes
kobe sneakers
golden goose
kyrie 3