Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Cheeky Cheeky Me
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Happy Happy Me

Friday 12 October 2007

Another Milestone

This long weekend will mark another milestone - more for me, than for Bryan actually if you read on.

My MIL and I have been rocking Bryan for his naps since the day he was born. In fact, we used to rock him at night as well but then I found out by chance one day that if I switched all the lights off and stayed very still, Bryan is able to roll around in our bed for 1/2 hour and then fall asleep by himself. Welllll....not TOTALLY by himself, he needs to hold both my thumbs and play with them until he's in zzzzzzzzzzzz. Don't know what's with the thumbs.

Anyway, Bryan must be pushing 12kgs now and that's really no joke to still be rocking him to sleep although it usually doesn't take more than 10mins. The last weekend when I did this, my arms almost broke and I had a shooting pain done my spine, which ached dully the whole wekeend. So this rocking business had to stop. Coincidentally, my friend whose daughter just turned 2yrs went through the same thing. I'd asked her for tips, and her method was really of force. Each time the daughter got up, they would make her sleep again. Now Bryan is what books classify as a "Spirited" baby, in Malaysian terms, "Naughty & Stubborn" lah. So I think besides forcing him to sleep like what my friend did, I can't think of any other way that will work for him.

I've tried:
- putting soft music
- telling a story (doesn't last 1/2 second until he walks away)
- singing (even worse....must be my voice)
- patting (won't keep still)

Hence this weekend, since I've got 3 days with him, I'll give the brutal method a try. If you have any humane method, please let me know!

4 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

When all decent methods fail with my gals, I use the brutal method - cane.... and sadly, it works!
How old is Bryan? If he doesnt want to sleep, why not just leave him in the cot, under your supervision. This is what I did to my gals last time when they were younger and after a while, they will play till they fall asleep themselves.

slavemom said...

Why not let him roll ard in bed n fall asleep by himself since this method works? That's how CE sleep too. Crawl ard, stand n push the headboard, pull my hair, lie on my chest.... zzzzz. How do u force a 1 yo to sleep anyway?

jazzmint said...

all the best to u

Tutiger said...

Ummm... my sis also facing the similiar problem with Nicole.... it is so hard to get her to sleep that she already have eye bags and panda eyes!!!
Have you tried to use the sarung? But make sure that once he falls asleep you got to take him out.